1. Students must complete all of the required courses in the first three (3) years of Graduate School:
Required courses are:
- Pharm 533: Essentials of Pharmacology, Toxicology, and Drug Discovery
- Pharm 554: Mammalian Toxicology OR ENV 501: Environmental Toxicology
- Pharm 815 / ENV 815: Focused Topics in Toxicology (cross-listed)
- Pharm 733: Experimental Design and Biostatistics for Basic Biomedical Scientists
- Seminar in Toxicology: (cross-listed) Pharm 847-S (fall) and Pharm 848-S (spring) OR ENV 847- S (fall) and ENV 848-S (spring)
In addition to completing the Program’s required coursework and meeting Departmental requirements, the following requirements must be met:
2. The candidate’s thesis advisor must be a faculty member of ITEHP .
3. At least one (1) additional member of the candidate’s thesis committee must be a faculty member of ITEHP.
4. A candidate admitted to the Ph.D. program directly by ITEHP must complete three (3) lab rotations in their first year of study. The rotations must include laboratories in at least two (2) different departments and two (2) different schools. **A candidate certifying in Toxicology who was admitted through another Ph.D. program will follow the rotation rules of the admitting Program.**
5. The candidate must present a seminar on their dissertation work to the Program. This is generally done in their last year. Contact Program DGS, Dr. Joel Meyer, to schedule this seminar.
ITEHP Program Requirements (PDF version)
Q. I’m already affiliated with a Department at Duke. How do I apply for the ITEHP Certificate?
A. To apply to join the ITEHP Certificate, complete the Graduate Certificate Program Application form and return it to the Program Office located in A346a LSRC
Q. I was admitted through the ITEHP and I’ve completed my three rotations and I’m ready to join my mentor’s Lab & Department. How do I do that?
A. Please complete the Departmental Affiliation Form and take it to the appropriate DGS’s for their signatures. Return the original form to the Program Office located in LSRC A346a.