HOW DOES WORK-STUDY WORK?
Duke University departments hire work-study students. Students are hired at an hourly rate and must complete a time card that is submitted electronically. Pay periods are two weeks in length. Each pay period, student hours are submitted to payroll in the department for which they are working. For Federal work-study students, payroll will pay 75% of the earnings to be paid to the student from Federal Work-Study; the remaining 25% is paid by the hiring department. Non-Profits participate in Duke work-study through collaboration with the Duke Community Service Center. Non-profits must qualify to participate in the program. Go to the Duke Community Service Center website for more information.
Participating non-profits hire Duke students’ and pay each student through the non-profits normal pay routine, with the understanding that work-study earnings are tax exempt. The student will receive paychecks through the non-profit, not through Duke. A student must be paid at least once a month for work performed. After payment of students, the non-profit submits documentation to the Student Employment Office for reimbursement of the student’s work-study earnings. The Student Employment Office completes the appropriate paperwork, and Payroll sends a reimbursement to the non-profit. The non-profit can only be reimbursed for the percentage covered by work-study funding (90% of earnings for federal work-study, up to the amount the student is allocated.
Students receive a limited amount of money for work-study. If a student works more hours than the work-study allotment can reimburse, it is up to the department to begin funding 100% of the student’s pay. Academic Year work-study allocations can only be used for hours worked beginning August 10, 2015 through May 1, 2016. Students cannot use the academic year work-study during the summer.
Student Employment: For graduate and professional students, job listings for both work-study and non-work study may be found at Duke LIST.
A comprehensive listing of all on- and off-campus jobs — including both work study and non-work study positions — is available through DukeList. Students with federal work study eligibility may also apply for employment through the Duke Community Service Center for placement with America Reads, America Counts, and other non-profit organizations. If you work multiple jobs, the student and employers are responsible for monitoring the student’s total earnings.
WORK STUDY PROGRAMS/ FEDERAL AND COLLEGE AID
The goal of work-study programs is to promote student employment opportunities for students who desire job experience and to assist those students who need earnings to help meet educational expenses. The Federal College Work-Study Program provides a federal subsidy of 75% for all eligible earnings, the remaining 25% of student wages is borne by hiring departments.
HOW MANY HOURS CAN A STUDENT WORK?
During the academic year, students enrolled in classes are allowed to work no more than 19.9 hours per week. This figure is a maximum amount. Please note that it is not recommended to work the maximum amount of hours permitted. It is critical that your employment be a manageable part of your graduate career, not an overwhelming experience. Your primary purpose in being at Duke is to earn your degree. Please discuss with your employer the number of hours that you feel comfortable working given all other obligations of your time. Do not start working until you are officially on payroll; any hours worked prior to getting on payroll will not be compensated.
HOW MUCH ARE WORK-STUDY STUDENTS PAID?
The rates for hourly student employees for 2017-2018 are below. We do not anticipate any changes.
- Student Assistant-General: $9.25/hr (minimum)/$15.25/hr (maximum)
- Student Assistant-Specialized : $10.25/hr(minimum)/$18.25/hr (maximum)
- (Specialized ex: research assistants, advanced computer, technical work)
HOW ARE STUDENTS PLACED ON PAYROLL?
Student employees are paid on the Duke University bi-weekly payroll system at an hourly rate. Direct deposit is required for all work study students. Just like any other job, you get a regular paycheck that goes directly to you for the wages you have earned based on the rate of pay and number of hours worked. You must submit your Work Study Authorization Form to the payroll clerk in the department where you are working. The Nicholas School’s Payroll/Business Office is in room EH 5A. The authorization form may be obtained from Cynthia Peters, Assistant Dean, A101 LSRC. Reminder: The total amount on the work study verification form is the total combined amount for both work study code and department code.
CAN A WORK-STUDY STUDENT HOLD MULTIPLE JOBS?
Yes, the two employers must first agree on how much of the students’ allocation will be earned at their department. Having both employers sign off on the Multiple Job Form does this. The Multiple Job Form is available on the Financial Aid web page in the Student Employment section.
HOW DO STUDENTS QUALIFY FOR WORK-STUDY AID?
In order to qualify for work-study allocation, a student must have an established and documented financial need in the Financial Aid Office of the college or school in which the student is enrolled. A work-study allocation is one component of a financial aid package, and is not a requirement, but an opportunity. To receive Federal Work Study, you must complete the online FAFSA form. For additional financial aid application requirements and instructions, contact your school’s financial aid office. Nicholas School students who are eligible for work/study were notified on the Financial Aid Award Notice that was sent last spring.
HOW DOES AN EMPLOYER LIST A JOB OPENING?
Employers post job openings using Duke LIST. Students with federal work study eligibility may also apply for employment through the Duke Center for Civic Engagement for placement with America Reads, America Counts, and other non-profit organizations. If you work multiple jobs, the student and employers are responsible for monitoring the student’s total earnings.
The America Reads/America Counts Program is a national initiative that challenges all Americans to play a role in helping children improve their reading and math skills. At Duke, the Community Service Center places tutors in our Duke Durham Neighborhood Partnership schools for an entire semester. Tutors will work with a child in grades K-8 in reading and/or mathematics. Positions are open to volunteers as well as students eligible for federal work-study who are seeking paid employment. Graduate students are paid $16.25 per hr. If you are interested in tutoring, please check out the America Reads/America Counts website for information on the application process. For other questions or concerns, contact Megan McCurley, 919-660-2445.
Students interested in finding work at a nonprofit should contact the Duke Center for Civic Engagement. All nonprofits must sign a contract to be eligible to participate in the work study program.
Questions about work-study?
Contact Cynthia Peters, Assistant Dean, at 919-613-8071 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.