The 2016-2017 initiatives are listed below, and the end of the year report, including the proposals for 2017-2018 can be found here.
- Increasing access to career resources – This initiative addressed the lack of career support that Nicholas School PhD students were experiencing from both the Nicholas School and the Graduate School.
- NIC-VIC (vertical integration) – To increase connections between MEM and PhD students, NPAC proposed a formal collaboration and mentoring program where PhD students collaborate with MEMs on group masters projects.
- Small Grants – A series of small grants (initially totaling $3000/academic year) allocated to projects that are (1) PhD student-led, (2) have a cross-disciplinary focus, (3) are not directly thesis-related, and (4) (preferably) include students from multiple NSOE PhD programs.
- Nicholas School Symposium – NPAC is working to organize a symposium which highlights the research of PhD students across all the disciplines in the Nicholas School.
- Marine Lab Connectivity – The overarching goal of this initiative is to increase connectivity of ideas, people, and education between the Durham and Marine Lab (ML) campuses.
- Website – This initiative addressed information accessibility on many topics, both through a revamping of NPAC’s website, and through advocating for specific changes to be made on the official NSOE website.