Visa Application

All DKU international students will need to apply for X1/X2 Visa at their local Chinese embassy/ consulates to enter China.

X1 Visa is issued to those who intend to study in China for a period of more than 180 days; X2 Visa is issued to those who intend to study in China for a period of no more than 180 days.

Please note that: once the students get the X1/X2 Visa from their local embassy/ consulates, the validity is only 30 days. Students will need to got to Kunshan Exit & Entry Bureau to change their X1 Visa to study-purpose Residence Permit within 30 days after they enter China.

As soon as you receive your JW202 Form and Admission Notice, you can begin your application.

Estimated processing time: 4-6weeks
  • End of May: Students' Visa-related information collection via Qualtrics Survey (at least 1 week)
    • Please finish the survey by due date. After the submission, you will receive a confirmation email. Failure to provide accurate info will result in a delay, so please fill all the information accurately.
  • Enter information into Ministry of Education (MOE) system and await approval (1 week)
  • Jiangsu Education Department (JED) Request (2-3 weeks)
    • After receiving approval from MOE, your JW202 Form will be processed and mailed to JED to be reviewing and stamped by the authorities.
  • FedEx Mailing Delivery (1-2 weeks)
    • Once receiving your stamped JW202 from JED, ISS office will start preparing other visa-supporting documents (Admission letter), and subsequently mail them to your provided address via FedEx.
After receiving JW202 Form and Admission Notice:
  • Please go to Chinese embassy/ consulates to apply your X1 Visa ASAP once you receive your JW202 Form and Admission Notice.
  • Please check the embassy’s official website for latest update on Visa application.
  • Please read online instructions thoroughly and follow the detailed steps to apply Chinese Visa carefully.
  • Please keep ISS updated all the time on your Visa status, flight & arrival info.
After getting your X1 Visa:
Students are not allowed to have a full-time job in China by holding a student visa. Students need to apply for an internship visa before starting an internship job. For information about the procedure, please go to ISS.
You need to do the Accommodation Registration Form within 24 hours arrival in China. After you are registered at the police station, you would need to:
  • Join the Health Check-up at Kunshan Quarantine Bureau, organized by Student Affairs. You would need to prepare one copy of passport-sized ID photo of yourself in white background.
  • Go to the local police station to apply for Residence Permit once got the health check-up report, organized by student affairs. You would also need to prepare one copy of passport-sized ID photo of yourself in white background.
While your passport is taken away for residence permit, which would take up to two weeks, you would receive an official receipt from the Entry & Exit Bureau as substitute for your passport. You would be able to check-in hotel and take trains with the receipt, but cannot go out of Mainland China during these days.

Departure & Arrival in China

Important notice: A fine of 2000RMB will be applied if you fail to do police registration within 24 hours of your arrival.

Overstay Issues

International students should pay attention to the validity of their residence permits and entry visas and make proper arrangements for extensions if necessary. A fine of 500RMB per day for overstay, up to a maximum fine of 10,000RMB will be received. The overdue fines caused by the expiration of the validity of residence permits or entry visas should be borne by the offender. For some cases, students may be forced to cancel their residence permit, or be deported in certain circumstances.

Loss or Change of Passports

International students should report the loss or change of their passports to the Kunshan Exit-Entry Administration Bureau and the Office of Student Affairs, and contact your country’s consulate to apply for a new passport.

If you have any questions, please contact International Student Services (ISS).