Saturday, May 11
For all May 2019 graduates who are planning to attend the NSOE Recognition Ceremony on May 11th!
There will be 8-9 rows of 24 seats, 12 on either side of the center aisle. Please make note of where you are in the list and help us on Saturday by lining up beginning at 8:30 a.m.
1. Bring your hood by Student Services as soon as you have picked up your academic apparel. We will transport all hoods to the ceremony site. We need your hood before 5:00 on Friday, May 10 (sooner would be better).
2. Be in the small lot next to the Chemistry lot by 8:30 Saturday morning. Wear your gown and cap with tassel.
3. Line-up will be by program area and then by presenter/hooder and then alphabetical by student last name.
4. Procession will begin promptly at 9:00. Students will process double file behind the dean, the other speakers and the faculty.
5. Students will sit in the front rows, MEMs first, then MFs, and then PhDs. There will be 12 seats on either side of the center aisle. Staff will be there to assist.
6. When it comes time for the recognition of degree candidates, you will be directed by staff to stand. The whole row, all 24 people will stand. Move quickly to your right and form a line at the steps on the right side of the stage as you face it. The first student should move to the top of the steps.
7. Wait for your name to be called, move to your presenter, turn your back to him/her, have your hood put on over your head, turn and shake your presenter’s hand and cross in front of the podium.
8. Move to Dean Steelman who will hand you your diploma cover and shake your hand; move to the keynote speaker and shake their hands.
9. Exit the stage and go directly to the table in front of you and receive your diploma.
10. Cross in front of the stage and return to your seat.
11. The ceremony should be over around 11:00.
12. The reception will be in Grainger Hall; please encourage your families to move quickly to EH as we need to reorganize the tent for the undergraduate ceremony immediately following our ceremony.
13. Duke Commencement is Sunday, May 12 in Wallace Wade Stadium. Please visit the Duke Commencement website for details on when and where you need to be. Erika will be there to assist you in lining up.