A COMMUNITY OF PRACTICE IN MOBILE E- LEARNING
The Duke Marine Lab is developing a community of practice in mobile e-learning, facilitated by its unique location, academic program, facilities and community. The following factors provide the solid foundation for our developing community of practice:
- Leadership – Several faculty bring leadership to the e-learning environment, engaging with and motivating marine science faculty and students in exploring the possibilities of e-learning in marine science courses offered at the Duke Marine Lab
- Scale – The faculty, number and type of courses, and student body of the Duke Marine Lab create a discrete and manageable test bed for assessing the response to the e-learning environment
- Value of a systemic approach – The Duke Marine Lab fosters a tightly knit community of innovators who can effectively share and collectively adapt teaching tools, management systems, useful apps, assessment tools, etc.
- Recruitment – A center of learning innovation at the Duke Marine Lab and the community of practice will be recruitive for undergraduate and graduate students
- Crowd-sourced content – The community of practice in mobile learning can be extended naturally to the student body at the Duke Marine Lab
- Field data collection and citizen science – The Duke Marine Lab community of practice is field-oriented, and develops new approaches to mobile learning using geo-referenced data acquired from tablets and smartphones in both the natural and social sciences