Nicholas School Recognition Ceremony (Saturday, May 12)
Things to Remember
1. Submit your student bio in advance.
2. If you have not yet confirmed your plans to attend, please promptly RSVP. After April 16, contact Amy Kirkland directly.
3. Be in the small lot next to the Chemistry lot by 12:15 Saturday afternoon. Wear your cap, gown and tassel.
4. Procession will begin promptly at 1:00. Students will process double file behind the dean, the other speakers and the faculty.
5. The ceremony should be over around 2:30.
6. The reception will be in Environment Hall; please encourage your families to move quickly to the Environment Hall
7. Duke Commencement is Sunday, May 13 in Wallace Wade Stadium. Please visit the Duke Commencement website for details on when and where you need to be. Staff will be there to assist you in lining up.
On Saturday afternoon May 12, gather in the small parking lot adjacent to the large tent for line-up. The processional will be led by the dean and dignitaries in double file. The faculty will process in after the dignitaries, then the undergraduates. We will be there to help you get lined up in the correct order. You should be wearing your academic apparel.
Seats will be on the right of the center aisle. When it comes time to go on stage, the entire row (approximately 12 seats across) will stand and move to the right. There will be staff members there to assist and direct you.
Once the procession finishes, the dean will invite everyone to be seated. After all the speakers are finished, the first group will be instructed to go to the stage. At that point the first row will stand and move to the right. Please move as quickly as you can and stand off to the right so that you can see and so that families can see.
Wait at the top step to the stage until your name is called. Move directly in front of your presenter and turn to face the audience. After your bio is read, turn around and shake his/her hand; proceed in front of the podium to the dean. He will give you your diploma folder; shake his hand. There will be at least two other dignitaries on the stage right standing alongside the dean, shake their hands as well; go down the stairs to the table and get your diploma. Return to your seat as quickly as you can, crossing IN FRONT of the stage.
Contact Amy Kirkland (firstname.lastname@example.org) ahead of time for handicapped parking for your family member; a special drop-off location will be available at the tent/event site and then park in the designated place on Circuit Drive. Everyone else please park in Circuit Lot and walk down to Chemistry Lot.
Once the ceremony is over, please move as quickly as possible to the reception in Environment Hall. The tent needs to be reconfigured for another ceremony in the afternoon.
If it rains, we will continue with the ceremony. If the weather is dangerous we will notify you by email and on the website as to the plan. If you do not hear from us or see anything on the website, then the ceremony WILL go on. You might want to encourage your guests to bring their umbrella just to be safe.
There will be portable lavatories available near the tent. Water will be available but no coffee.
Sunday, May 13 University-wide Commencement
Duke Commencement will be in Wallace Wade Stadium, West Campus.
|Sunday, May 13||University-wide Commencement Ceremony||Wallace Wade Stadium, West Campus||9:30-11:30am
line up 8:15am
|All spring graduates||Visit the Duke Commencement Website for more info and Student Instructions|