Q. I’m already affiliated with a Department at Duke. How do I apply for the ITEHP Certificate?
A. To apply to join the ITEHP Certificate, complete the Graduate Certificate Program Application formand return it to the Program Office located in A346a LSRC
Q. I was admitted through the ITEHP and I’ve completed my three rotations and I’m ready to join my mentor’s Lab & Department. How do I do that?
A. Please complete the Departmental Affiliation Form and take it to the appropriate DGS’s for their signatures. Return the original form to the Program Office located in LSRC A346a.
Q. What is included in my ITEHP Training?
A. The ITEHP has a core set of requirements that must be met in order to receive the certificate:
1. Students must complete all of the required courses in the first three years of Graduate School.
Required courses are:
- Pharm 533 – Essentials of Pharmacology, Toxicology, and Drug Discovery
- Students must take either Pharm 554 (Mammalian Toxicology) OR ENV 501 (Environmental Toxicology).
- Pharm 847-S (fall) and 848-S (spring) or ENV 847- S (fall) and ENV 848-S (spring) – Seminar in Toxicology (cross listed)
- Pharm 815 or ENV 815 – Focused Topics in Toxicology (cross listed)
- Pharm 733 – Statistics for Basic Biomedical Scientists
In addition to completing the Program’s required course work and meeting the Departmental requirements, the following requirements must be met:
- The candidate’s thesis advisor must be a faculty member of the ITEHP.
- At least one additional member of the candidate’s thesis committee must be a faculty member of the ITEHP
- A candidate admitted to the Ph.D. program directly by the ITEHP must complete three lab rotations in his/her first year of study. The rotations must include laboratories in at least two different departments, and two different schools. **A candidate certifying in Toxicology who was admitted through another Ph.D. program will follow the rotation rules of the admitting Program.
- The candidate must present a seminar on their dissertation work to the Program (contact Dr. Edward Levin firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule your seminar). This is usually done in your last year.
PDF version of this page: