Required courses for the completion of the UPEH Certificate are:
- Pharm 533 – Essentials of Pharmacology, Toxicology, and Drug Discovery
- Students must take either Pharm 554 (Mammalian Toxicology) OR ENV 501 (Environmental Toxicology).
- Pharm 847-S (fall) and 848-S (spring) or ENV 847- S (fall) and ENV 848-S (spring) – Seminar in Toxicology (cross listed)
- Pharm 815 or ENV 815 – Focused Topics in Toxicology (cross listed)
- Pharm 733 – Statistics for Basic Biomedical Scientists
In addition to completing the Program’s required course work and meeting Departmental requirements (Departmental requirements will vary – please discuss with your Departmental DGS and DGSA), the following requirements must be met:
The candidate’s thesis advisor must be a faculty member of the UPEH.
At least one additional member of the candidate’s thesis committee must be a faculty member of the UPEH
A candidate admitted to the Ph.D. program directly by the UPEH must complete three lab rotations in his/her first year of study. The rotations must include laboratories in at least two different departments, and two different schools. If you were admitted to Duke through another Program / Department, please see below.
*A candidate certifying in Toxicology who was admitted through another Ph.D. program will follow the rotation rules of the admitting Program.
The candidate must present a seminar on their dissertation work to the Program (contact Dr. Edward Levin firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule your seminar). This is usually done in your last year.
UPEH Program Requirements (PDF version)