To: All incoming students
From: Tom Schultz, Compliance Officer
Re: Safety Training
TRAINING IS IMPORTANT!!!
Please go online and complete training ASAP. All training is available through the web at www.safety.duke.edu. Click on the on-line training link and log on by entering your ID number from the back of your Duke University Identification Card. You will only take the online tests for FIRE, CHEMICAL, ERGO, AND LABORATORY SAFETY unless told otherwise.
Emergencies, questions, concerns – contact Tom Schultz (contact info below)
OTHER IMPORTANT SAFETY INSTRUCTIONS
If you are working in a laboratory you MUST
- Wear closed-toed shoes AT ALL TIMES
- Label ALL solutions (even if it is just distilled water)
- NO eating or drinking in the lab
- Wear safety eyewear, clothing, etc. when appropriate
- Report ALL spills or accidents IMMEDIATELY to your supervisor
REMINDERS TO THOSE OF YOU USING CHEMICALS OR LAB SPACE
- You MUST label and date all chemicals, EVEN WATER!!!
- If you have chemical waste, please check with your advisor as to its disposal or contact me via email or phone.
- Please make sure that all glassware and work areas are cleaned and ready for the next session of students.
- LABEL and DATE all chemicals, samples, and waste immediately.
I appreciate all of your help.