Just weeks after I completed my DEL-MEM degree in May 2014, I experienced my first significant opportunity to advance my career as an environmental educator. I met a dynamic environmental scientist and entrepreneur, Dr. Bruno Marino, founder of Planetary Emissions Management (PEM-Carbon). Over a series of meetings, we developed a commonality focused on children and their relationship with Earth’s environmental condition. Our professional collaboration created The PeaceKeeper Foundation (The PKF), a nonprofit subsidiary of PEM-Carbon that was created and launched on July 23, 2014 with the vision of empowering youth with the knowledge, skills, and motivation to manage the planet for their future.

I think back to my first course in the DEL-MEM Program, Professional Writing, taught by Dr. Nicolette Cagle. Her class made me a better writer as I now blog with my DEL-MEM community. My other DEL-MEM coursework will also prove indispensable in my new position as The PKF’s Executive Director.

The PKF’s mission aims to develop dialog between youth from all countries to explore common solutions to the effects of climate change at local and global scales, through hands-on and digital educational programs. Working with my cohort through the Environmental Leadership component of DEL-MEM gave me the necessary skills to serve as a co-leader for The PKF.

Dr. Elizabeth Shapiro’s class on Management for Environmental Professionals provided me with an understanding for the implementation of The PKF’s newly-developed business model. Equally, Dr. Deborah Gallagher’s Environmental Law and Policy class helped me understand the social ramifications that exist through NGO’s, which will help guide The PKF in an equitable manner.

A water conservation program I direct within The PKF will implement storm water retrofit systems on school campuses, producing many long-term environmental and economic benefits. My Capstone Project Group within my Environmental Economics class, taught by Dr. Brian Murray, empowered me with the skills necessary to envision and fulfill this project. Lessons learned from Dr. Dave Hinton’s California Watershed Management class also will guide my rationale as I continue to work through the dynamic issues that must continually be resolved to leverage future water shortages this planet faces.

A “Slendemics” program (species learning of endemic biodiversity) led by Mr. Imesh Bandara, The PKF Director of Biodiversity and International Programs, focuses on ecological awareness and societal impacts on nature. Not surprisingly, knowledge of species, their ecological homes and human impacts are not widely shared. Our mutual goal in this PKF program is to bring backyard biodiversity into focus for children and the general public all over the world.

Eric McDuffie's son at the Eno River.

Eric McDuffie’s son at the Eno River.

My coursework with Dr. Edward O. Wilson’s class on Biodiversity and the Meaning of Human Existence, coupled with Dr. Rebecca Vidra’s classes on Ecosystem Science and Management, Restoration Ecology, and Environmental Ethics and Advocacy, will prove invaluable as I co-manage this program with Imesh and Bruno.

I will continue to serve the children of this planet by providing the necessary platform for their voices to be heard through The PKF. When your children ask you what you did to preserve the planet for their future, what will you tell them? The PeaceKeeper Foundation hopes you will join our efforts; we ask for your help with monetary donations to any of our worthy causes. Donations can be made directly on The PKF Website. We greatly appreciate your generous support.

By Eric McDuffie, MEM ’14