Spotlight_Megan Green photo

My journey to the DEL-MEM Class of 2016 began back in 2007, when I took the DEL Exec Ed online course “Environmental Communication for Behavior Change.” Instructor Brian Day’s concepts changed the way I approached my job as an air quality professional looking for voluntary ways to reduce air pollution. I remember looking at the Masters of Environmental Management back then, but it was too early in my career.

Fast-forward six and a half years, and now I feel ready to take the plunge and apply to graduate school. I started where many people do: Google. I conducted countless internet searches and combed numerous graduate school websites, but I kept coming back to the DEL-MEM program. The reason why? It has a combination of three elements I couldn’t find anywhere else:

1. The well-rounded course of study blends management skills with environmental expertise as it develops environmental leadership.

2. Students take a place-and-space approach that allows them to continue to work full time while earning a degree in two years.

3. This established degree program informs the conversation about environmental management and doesn’t just respond to current trends.

Prior to accepting DEL’s offer of admission, I spent time asking current students about their experience with the program. I perceived a strong sense of community within the cohort, despite the fact that classmates are scattered across the world. They told me how the concrete skills they learned in two years will apply immediately to their work. Finally, they praised the supportive network of mentoring, one-on-one conversations with faculty, and leadership coaching that this program provides.

As I look toward August and my DEL-MEM orientation, I’m excited about getting to know my classmates, and starting to the build skills and knowledge that will enhance my current job performance and help me become a more effective and influential environmental leader.

******

Megan G., DEL-MEM ’16, is Mobile Sources Program Manager for Mecklenburg County Air Quality. She works to identify and implement voluntary and incentive-based strategies that reduce air pollution. Megan holds a Bachelor’s degree in Political Science and Economics from Elon University and has eight years of experience as an environmental professional.