The Duke University Student Chapter of The Coastal Society is one of seven student-run societies committed to furthering the mission of The Coastal Society (TCS).
TCS is an organization of private sector, academic, and government professionals and students dedicated to actively addressing emerging coastal issues by fostering dialogue, forging partnerships, and promoting communication and education. The Duke Chapter seeks to protect the local coastal ecosystem, thereby fulfilling it’s mission of stewardship through education, restoration and fundraising for charity. Projects and events include:
- Professional development conferences and workshops
- Oyster habitat restoration in partnership with the North Carolina Coastal Federation
- Beach cleanups with fellow student organizations
- Blue Drink networking events
- Environmental movie screenings
- Sponsored speakers
- Subsidized River Watch Training
The Duke Chapter’s signature event is the annual Neuse Riverkeeper Foundation Sprint Triathlon in Beaufort, NC, which raises money to help keep the Neuse River basin clean and pollution free.